TIPS ON WORKING WITH OUR GIRLS AT THE DJJ
(from Sue Gallen of DJJ, August 30, 2016 WISH Training)
One of the most important things we can do for any of our young girls is to model pro-social and pro-community behavior.
- Listen to the girls, hear what they say without judging, assigning motivation, feeling the need to agree or disagree with them or question authenticity.
- Let girls know you care about them, even when they make mistakes and demonstrate poor decision making-remind them that we all make mistakes
- Acknowledge their strengths and skills-help them use these in pro-social ways
- Acknowledge and praise their efforts and the good things they do no matter how small
- Understand that when girls are acting “tough” and as if they don’t care, this is a smoke screen for fear, confusion and feelings of hurt and shame
- Don’t take what they say and do personally
- Let them know you have faith in them and provide encouragement every step of the way.
- Be respectful and “real” with the girls