Welcome to the Junior League of Fort Myers Website!
The Junior League of Fort Myers (JLFM) is an organization of women devoted to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Through our rich 45 year history in Southwest Florida, JLFM has tackled the issues affecting our area.
A sampling of our past projects include: founding of the Calusa Nature Center, founding of the Women’s Resource Center, support for the Ronald McDonald House, Burroughs Home, the Imaginarium and Teen Court, just to name a few.
In the past year we have...
- Distributed more than 108,524 pounds of food to more than 8,000 people in Fort Myers, through a relationship with the Harry Chapin Food bank.
- Fought childhood obesity through our nationally recognized Kids in the Kitchen initiative, empowering youth to make healthy lifestyle choices and help reverse the increased rate of childhood obesity and its associated health issues.
- Mentored young women at-risk, through the WISH program, providing programming to teach necessary life skills to young girls in the Lee County Juvenile Detention Center.
- Created short-term, done-in-a-day, quick impact community service and improvement projects through our Helping Hands and new member programs, including work at the Ronald McDonald House and Brightest Horizons school.
- Granted $19,000 in Mini-Grants to various local non-profits in our community.
Our 2013-2014 Theme....Grow!
This year as we move into our 2013-2014 year, our League is focused on growth.
- Growing Our Members....the Junior League of Fort Myers is looking for woman from all walks of life who are interested in volunteerism and in developing their own potential. The Junior League builds civic leaders through leadership training and experience. We welcome our new members and will work to build the skills and knowledge of our existing members!
- Growing Our Impact in the Community...this year, the JLFM will work to narrow our area of service in order to more deeply impact our community. Our membership has spent the last year researching the needs in Southwest Florida, and will complete this process and announce a new area of service in 2013-2014.
- Growing Our Capacity...training and leadership are key to the Junior League experience. The JLFM will grow its training programs to encompass both local and national leadership training. Junior League members take their knowledge and experiences into your community...they are your future non-profit board members, PTA leaders, fundraisers, trainers and professional associates. Junior League training builds better leaders!
- Growing Our Resources...each year the all-volunteer event Taste of the Town music and food festival raises funds for our mission-based activities. Taste of the Town is held on the first Sunday of each November. In 2013, we will bring our well-loved event to Fenway South at JetBlue Park. All proceeds directly support our mission. We hope you will support this fundraising event, either through sponsorship or attendance! Contact email@example.com for opportunities.
I am very honored to be President of this group of dynamic women. I hope you'll find an opportunity to see our work, support our fundraising efforts or become a member!
Women building better communities...that’s the Junior League.
Anita M. Dueñas
Junior League of Fort Myers
Anita M. Dueñas